All of us know it is important for kids and even adults to drink milk daily because of the many health benefits it offers. We also have dairy products regularly because we know they are healthy and they taste great as well.
But have you ever wondered what exactly dairy products are? Also, have you ever been curious about the different milk products? If yes, then continue reading as we shall now be diving into the world of milk products.
What Are Dairy Products?
Dairy products are basically food products that are made using milk. They are a good source of energy.
The raw milk used for processing the milk products mostly comes from cows. However, milk of sheep, goats, and water buffalo are also used at times.
List of Dairy Products
Popular dairy products include:
- Cottage cheese
- Clotted Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Ice Cream
Butter is one of the most popular high-fat milk products made from churned cream or milk.
It is true that butter does have some nutritional value (vitamin D and A) but it is not very nutritious. So, it will be best if you have it only in reasonable amounts per day.
Cheese is extremely delicious and also popular all over the world. Different countries produce their own variety of cheese – Greece (Feta), England (Cheddar), Italy (Mozzarella), Italy (Parmesan), Greece (Ricotta), and so on.
Cheese basically is a fermented milk product, and you can get them in different sizes and shapes. Some cheese is soft and mild while some can be strong and hard.
As far as nutrition is concerned, cheese is a great source of protein. But while consuming it, remember, it is even high in fat.
Buttermilk may not be very famous but it is a sour-tasting and refreshing milk product. It is simply the pale-yellow liquid that is left behind after churning butter.
It is a good idea to have buttermilk regularly because it may improve oral health, it can make your bones stronger, it is known to reduce blood pressure levels, and it is easier to digest compared to other milk products.
Cottage cheese is a curd-based, high-protein cheese. What is best about this milk product is that it is extremely protein-dense. It is low in carbs and fat and just 100 grams offers you 12 grams of protein.
Dairy Products with Facts
Now that you have learned a bit about dairy products and their types, let us get to discover some interesting facts about different milk products.
1. The liquid present at the top of sour cream and yogurt is whey. Originally, it was believed to be a waste product and used to be pumped into streams and rivers resulting in huge concentrations of algae.
2. String cheese is created by heating mozzarella to 60 degrees centigrade, which results in the milk protein lining up. They then can be peeled off in strings.
3. Turkish ice cream or dondurma does not melt easily. It is very stretchy.
4. Sardinia offers a cheese known as maggot cheese that contains live maggots.
5. Until recently, the holes present in Swiss cheese were believed to be signs of imperfection, something, which the cheesemakers tried hard to avoid.
Milk and milk products are certainly healthy and delicious. But what is interesting is that there are so many fascinating facts, and there is so much to learn. Definitely, the world of milk and dairy products is super intriguing.
Dairy Products | Picture