When looking at the English language, one of the important grammatical elements that you are likely to come across is the independent clause. But what does this mean and how do we use it? In this article, we are going to the at the meaning of this type of clause as well as viewing some examples of how it features within a sentence. Doing this will enable us to get a better understanding of how the clause works.
What Is an Independent Clause?
The definition of the independent clause is a clause which can be used both as a standalone sentence or with another clause to make a compound or complex sentence.
- I enjoy eating in a restaurant.
- I enjoy eating in a restaurant because the food is better.
- Waiting for the mail to come is tedious.
- Waiting for the mail to come is tedious especially when I have better things to do.
Learn definition and examples of dependent clauses.
Examples of Independent Clauses
We are now going to take a look at some examples of how the independent clause can work within a sentence, we will look at this type of clause as a standalone and used with other clauses. The independent clause in each sentence will be highlighted in bold.
- The earth circles around the sun.
- The earth circles around the sun in our solar system.
- The teacher is always late to class.
- The teacher is always late to class because he stops for coffee on the way.
- The weather is pleasant in Jamaica.
- The weather is pleasant in Jamaica unless there is a hurricane.
- It makes sense to do the most difficult jobs first.
- It makes sense to do the most difficult jobs first so that they are out of the way.
- Skiing is my favourite hobby.
- Skiing is my favourite hobby when I am in the mountains.
- The animals are getting ready to hibernate.
- The animals are getting ready to hibernate by storing food.
- The couple decided to get married abroad.
- The couple decided to get married abroad in order to lower the cost of the wedding.
- I like to cycle to stay healthy.
- I like to cycle to stay healthy because it is a good form of exercise.
- My mother is an English teacher.
- My mother is an English teacher at the local school.
- The renovated town hall looks amazing.
- The renovated town hall looks amazing because the workmen took their time to complete the intricate details.
- The football team played their best.
- The football team played their best but still did not win the game.
- The Himalayas are an incredible mountain range.
- The Himalayas are an incredible mountain range, which features the highest mountain in the world.
- I love to go to the beach.
- I love to go to the beach but I prefer to go to the countryside.
- There were five of us who went to dinner.
- There were five of us who went to dinner and we all thought it was terrible.
- Today it is snowing.
- Today it is snowing so the fun run has been cancelled.
very good lesson this , Thank you
Thank you very much!!!
i still don’t understand this but great examples. 🙂
its ur problem wht should we do say u ugly face man
I am a bit confused about clauses and phrases but the examples of independent clauses are superb!!!
Thank You so much!!!
ho ym dog