The internet slang term AW appears very frequently when reading online material but what is the meaning of this term? We are going to take a look at what it means as well as looking at some examples of how the internet slang term can be used. We will also find out the origin of the slang and where it first came from.
What Does AW Mean?
When someone uses the internet slang term AW they are saying “attention whore”, which means somebody who craves and seeks attention during their online presence.
Origin of AW
The internet slang term attention whore first started to be seen in the year 2000 when it was used on Everything 2 Wiki, from there the use of the term snowballed to the popularity it has today.
Other Meanings for the Slang
There are other meanings for the term aw in an online sense. Here are some examples of other things which the slang can mean.
- aw used as a word when talking about something cute, adorable or lovely.
You are likely to see the term attention whore used many times when on the internet, we are now going to look at some examples of how the slang can be used in a conversation to better understand the use.
The first conversation is happening on a Facebook status update.
- Person 1: “Feeling really low…..again.”
- Person 2: “What’s wrong babe?”
- Person 1: “I’ll send you an inbox.”
- Person 3: “There’s nothing wrong, she’s being an AW!”
The next conversation is happening in a private online conversation.
- Person 1: “Did you see the photos that Amy shared of her holiday?”
- Person 2: “Yes, she could have worn more clothes in them.”
- Person 1: “Yeah, one word…..AW!”
The final conversation is taking place in an online forum.
- Person 1: “I am so sick of this now,”
- Person 2: “What are you sick of?”
- Person 1: “Everything.”
- Person 2: “Oh get a grip and stop being such an AW.”
Other Ways to Say the Slang
There are, like many things other ways in which you can say the internet slang term aw. If you are curious to see other things that you can say in its place, here is a list to demonstrate that.
- attention bitch
- attention seeker